Computer Science Assignment – Network Intrusion Detection for Cyber Security
You are required to carry out background research into your chosen topic and report on your findings. You must present the results of your investigation as a word-processed document. The report should summarise the state of the art, historical development, or current trends in your topic. A clear description of the potential for further development within the area must also be given.
Your report should not exceed 4000 words in length (9 pages), be presented using a 12-point font at 1.5 line spacing and should include figures, tables, etc. where appropriate. All submissions must be accompanied by a full set of references (books, journal articles, conference proceedings, web pages, software etc.). A suggested set of sections / headings is as follows:
- Table of Contents
- Abstract (or Summary)
- Introduction (i.e. background)
- Review of literature
- Further Work
- Appendices (if any)
Suggestions regarding style:
- Titles and headings should be concise and informative
- The title should convey all the important ideas in the report and the main focus
- Section headings should reflect the logical structure of the report
- Titles and headings should be numbered and formatted
- Avoid personal pronouns such as I
- Keep sentences short and to the point
- Avoid abbreviations, jargon or slang
- Use simple language, when possible
- USE THE SPELLING CHECKER
- Possibly use the grammar checker (though exercise caution with this)
- You must include only the RELEVANT papers and books that you have read.
- You need to weave the references into the description, rather than listing all the references and describing each of them.
- You may find it useful to include a table(s) that describes references by features.
- Your Literature Survey should help you place your project into a body of knowledge and should prevent you “re-inventing the wheel”.
- Your Literature Survey should describe the areas and sub-areas of relevance, indicate the “hot” areas and the gaps in knowledge.
- You must draw together a range of connected references and provide a clear summary of the work describedin your own words, while demonstrating awareness of the context in which the work was carried out and the potential for further development.
Key things that we are looking for (assessment criteria):
- Is the literature review of the area thorough and scholarly?
- Are the references appropriate?
- Is there a critical analysis of the general area (i.e. background)?
- Is there a comparison of techniques/example systems?
- Are the key issues in the application area identified and analysed?
- Has the potential for further work been identified?
- Is there a clear summary / set of conclusions?
- Is the document complete and self-contained?
- Is the document well structured?
- Is the standard of English acceptable?
- Is the overall presentation good