Write a 4- to 5-page essay
Write a 4- to 5-page essay describing the IT governance structure and decision-making processes in your organization. Include a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of your organization’s circumstances and present and justify one specific improvement you would make to either the structure or a process; be sure to apply the concepts and use the terminology provided in the readings.
In this case we investigate the technology-related decision making in organizations.
- We start by introducing the objective of governance specific to the information technology function and services.
- Next, we offer to you the fundamental battle in technology management—the constant tug-of-war between centralization and decentralization.
- We then provide several examples of how real-world organizations have reconciled their choices in how to structure themselves.
- Next, we present an overview of decision making processes and some of the methods for making decisions.
- Finally, we present insight into the complexity of real-world choices highlight the politics of information
Before writing-up the essay for this case, read and review the following documents (we recommend in this same order):
- Objective of IT governance: http://www.intosaiitaudit.org/intoit_articles/25_p30top35.pdf
- Centralization versus Decentralization: http://www.ppcwg.org/images/files/Federated%20Model%20White%20Paper.pdf
- Different models / Roundtable discussion: http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/EDU03184.pdf
- IT Governance Structure for a public child-welfare agency: http://www.ppcwg.org/information-management-key-processes-governance-structure.html
- Haes, S, &.Van Grembergen, W. (2014). IT Governance structures, processes and relational mechanisms achieving IT/Business alignment in a major Belgian financial group. Retrieved from http://www.antwerpmanagementschool.be/media/287500/IT%20Gov%20structures%20IT%20business%20alingnment%20in%20BE%20financial.pdf
- Haes, S, &.Van Grembergen, W. (2014)IT governance and its mechanisms. Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/JOURNAL/PAST-ISSUES/2004/VOLUME-1/Pages/IT-Governance-and-Its-Mechanisms.aspx
- Overview of Decision Making: http://www.enotes.com/business-finance-encyclopedia/decision-making
- Main methods of business decision making: http://tutor2u.net/business/organisation/decisionmaking.htm